We're creating jobs and we'll keep fighting to get Grand Rapids back to work!
We all felt the desperation and uncertainty that came when thousands of people lost their jobs due to COVID, but no family should fear that they cannot afford to put dinner on the table for their kids, or provide for their future.
The Michigan Democrats know that these problems hit Grand Rapids especially hard. Nearly 27% of Grand Rapids’ workforce was without a job when COVID hit.
We’ve worked hard to put people back to work, and the numbers show that it’s working. Grand Rapids' unemployment is down to 5%.
Here’s a look at the progress we’ve made thanks to President Biden and Democrats’ leadership, and our plan for the future:
- Cut taxes for families and workers through the Build Back Better initiative, and reduced taxes on the middle class and those striving to break into it.
- Allocated funds to train Michigan workers for the jobs of the future by investing in training programs that will prepare people for jobs in public health, manufacturing, IT, and clean energy.
- Added 6.4 million jobs since President Biden took office — regaining 84% of the jobs that were lost during the pandemic.
- Created an average of 537,000 jobs per month in 2021.
- Built an economy that is stronger than it was before the pandemic.
- Facilitated the fastest economic growth in nearly 40 years.