The Michigan Democratic Party will always fight for every student to have the resources they need, no matter their zip code.
As we embrace new challenges in our classrooms in the wake of COVID, the Michigan Democrats are committed to a safe return to in person learning while ensuring every student has the resources they need to succeed.
Washtenaw County schools received $47.5million in federal stimulus funding from President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, directly impacting students in the county and helping students and teachers carefully return to classrooms.
Here’s a look at the initiatives supported by Democrats that we helped elect and continue to support:
- Secured a bipartisan $17.1 billion dollar public education budget last year for the largest investment in PreK-12 schools in state history — all without raising taxes.
- Implemented Governor Whitmer’s directive to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services in January to send 300,000 COVID-19 tests to schools to combat the spread of the omicron variant.
- Won funding that included $150 million for COVID testing in schools.
- Supported $580 million authorized by Whitmer in 2020 to “increase safety when students do return to classes and provide hazard pay to teachers.”
- Provided universal, high-quality, free preschool for every 3- and 4-year old in America through the Build Back Better framework.
- Expanded access to free, high-quality preschool to more than 219,279 additional 3- and 4-year-olds per year and increase the quality of preschool for children who are already enrolled.